Advanced Cancer Genetics
Techniques currently employed at the Molecular Genetics Laboratory include:
- Targeted mutation analysis via direct DNA sequencing.
- Gene-based sequencing and multi-exon mutation screening using a robotic interface and automated identification of variants.
- Multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification strategies for the detection of deletion and duplication events, and methylation analysis.
- The recent development of whole genome and targeted genome oligo-based arrays using Affymetrix and Agilent platforms.
- LOH and UPD studies using fluorescence-based microstallite analysis, and Affymetrix arrays.
- Trinucleotide repeat expansion analysis using the detection of fluorescently labeled amplicons separated by capillary electrophoresis. This approach has recently been upgraded to incorporate allele specific ladders for the more accurate sizing of amplicons.